February 28, 2012

Corn Safe to Eat for those with Gluten Sensitivity?



Here is an article from the Gluten Free Society Blog. I really encourage you to join their mailing list. They are doing so much research in the field of gluten sensitivity and Celiac Disease, and educating doctors, patients and lay people as well.

I limit my own corn consumption and it is always organic, but this article makes me rethink corn. When I was in Rome Italy (a gift from my brother) I brought diet cards in Italian to give to the waiters and other food servers so they would know that I am gluten free, dairy free, and egg free,. The waiters would sometimes also ask is corn OK? They are ahead of us with that too. In Italy there is much higher rates of Celiac Disease and all children (in larger towns) are tested for Celiac Disease before they start kindergarten! In Italy they are much more aware of food sensitivities and health issues stemming from them. I actually found a food sensitivity blood test that you could order by yourself through local pharmacies. (called a "farmacia" in Italy)

If you are Italian, or Irish, or a combination thereof, it is worth testing for Celiac Disease or gluten intolerance as those populations have much greater Celiac Disease risk, especially if you have health problems as well!

http://www.glutenfreesociety.org/gluten-free-society-blog/is-corn-gluten-really-safe-for-those-with-gluten-sensitivity/

No comments:

Post a Comment