What could cause this phenomenon...
What else is on your salad? Ranch dressing? (Dairy) Oil? Nuts? Vinegar? Lemon juice? Other citrus juices? Cheese? Croutons? Raw broccoli? Other raw cruciferous veggies? (Blanching them might help) Spices? If you include these ingredients not only are you including many of the top 10 allergens/intolerances, but you are also packing a wallop of excess calories on your "healthy" salad. Fats can be hard for people to digest as well. In general vinegar and lemon juice add acidity to your stomach to help you digest the veggies better.
Top 10 Food Allergens in the US:
- Tree nuts (walnuts, almonds, cashews, pecans, etc)
- Shellfish and other seafood
- Gluten – a protein commonly found in wheat, but also in barley, rye, and some other grains.
- Milk and egg allergies are the most common food allergies in children
- Fish and shellfish are the most common food allergies in adults
- Here in the US, peanut and tree nut allergies trigger the most fatal and near fatal reactions – anaphylaxis
What are cruciferous veggies?
Maybe it's time to experiment...when you eat carrot sticks plain does it make your tummy rumble in a bad way? gas? burp? or is it only when you dip them in ranch dressing. Beware of heavy raw food nut laden dressings as well.
I know plain veggies can be boring...then experiment,,,, what do you feel good having on your salad? Is it the veggies or the dressing and other additions that are causing tummy troubles and gas?