June 21, 2009

My visit to the Holistic MD

I went to the Holistic MD for her to review my new blood results and to tell me what her protocol/recommendations are for me. As I said I was impressed by the blood tests that she ordered.
Here are her findings/recommendations:

1) I have very low Vitamin B12
2)My Vitamin D3 is just above the lowest limit so although it is better, I still have a ways to go for it to be at it's optimum level.
3)My iron is a little low also.

She said the low B12 could be the cause of my heart palpitations and my nose bleeds and my fatigue.
She also said to feel better with an autoimmune disease having lots of Vitamin D3 is important.
She said we'd keep an eye on the low B12 and iron(I did some research and I think I know why
I will explain at the end)

She also said she didn't expect to see such great bloodwork for a patient with Lupus. I told her that I did a total 180 with my diet and I eat like a total health nut and have for the last year and a half....she said it SHOWS! What a pat on the back! Yes! Toni!""Good Girl!" OK there's my dog trainer coming out...oops!

My kidneys are great, my liver is great my cholesterol and triglicerides are great, homocysteine levels are great.

Now on to the Lupus tests that she did...
Have double stranded DNA(not happy)
My ANA titer has gone back down to 1:80 for now(very happy)
Cardiolipin AB IGG is positive (the others AB IGA, and IGM are negative)
She forgot to test my antiphospholipids again(they were tested 6 months ago and were positive)

She recommended a "cleanse". It is a shake from Xymogenics. She also recommended that I take supplements for VitB12 (a special Methyl Protect with other b vitamins as well) and to continue Vit D3 supplementation, she said she would also recommend other vitamins and things at our next visit in 6 weeks.

I have other questions for her. I need to see if I can call her or should I go back for another appt before the 6 weeks are up.
1) I need to tell her I have low stomach acid (this can stop the way that B12 is broken down and used by the body
2) this also can cause iron stores to go down and I need to ask her if the thing she wanted to watch with me is "pernicious anemia" see below:
//www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/dci/Diseases/prnanmia/prnanmia_causes.html
3) Also she said my thyroid looks normal, I have a feeling that it is out of wack(maybe not extremely low(to show up on a blood test) but low enough to make me not feel so great.

All in all I am extremely happy with the way that my change in diet is doing and it seems to be helping a lot.

ONE CAUTION if you are not eating meat/fish/eggs you NEED to get your B12 tested and to supplement it as necessary (stores can last for 3-5 years in your body but then usually a vegetarian/vegan/raw fooder,macrobiotic diet follower, needs to check levels of B12 and supplement them.

Christina Pirello has a great story on her problems with B12 deficiency it can be DEADLY!
See the link below for her story:
http://macrobiotics.co.uk/articles/dilemma.htm

2 comments:

  1. Hi Toni, My name is Brooke, I have been reading your blog often and I can't tell you how much your wisdom and positivity is helping me through and guiding me on the right path to better health. I've recently been diagnosed with undifferentiated, but I'm lupus all over, even my positive anti-DNA, but I don't need a diagnosis-I know what I have to do! I was just wondering if you could explain about your double stranded DNA profile. I presume this is the same as anti-DNA? I am in Australia we may use different terms. Thanks again for doing such a great job on your website, I'm hooked. Cheers, Brooke.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brooke,

    From what I know Anti(bodies)to DNA and double stranded DNA are the same thing, but I will check into it more though. I love that you're hooked! I want to help everyone be healthier.
    I tend to feel positive because I feel more in control of my Lupus/symptoms by eating a healthy diet!
    Cheers, Toni

    ReplyDelete