August 21, 2010

Tried my Bitter Melon Today!

****See Caution at end of Post****

The reason I had bought this was 2 fold:

1) I had heard that it is an incredible internal body cleanser (I think you only should eat /drink juice from a little bit at a time? Will research this more..see below!)

2) Happened to find it at an Organic Farm nearby that specializes in Asian produce

The melon was turning yellow/orange which I read mellows the bitterness a bit.

I was afraid at first...but when I tasted the juice it reminded me of wheat grass which I didn't mind the taste of at all (but got ear fluid /ear pain and assumed I am really allergic to wheat not just intolerant)

Also reminds me of the bitter background flavor that kale or strong lettuce can sometimes have.

To me...the taste was not too bad at all ....I will let you know if my body has any reaction to it in the next few days....

There are many recipes on the internet for juicing/smoothies and stir fries, soups, teas, and even stuffed bitter melon.

Check out all the health benefits of this fruit.
http://www.juicing-for-health.com/bitter-gourd-benefits.html

****Caution*****

***Do not consume more than two ounces of bitter melon, or more than two melons a day. Excessive consumption may cause mild abdominal pain or diarrhea. Diabetics taking hypoglycemic drugs will need to alter the dosage of their drugs if they consume bitter melon on a regular basis. Please consult your doctor.



Pregnant women should avoid taking too much bitter gourd or its juice as it may stimulate the uterus that may lead to preterm labor.****

1 comment:

  1. It is now 2 days after my bitter melon juice experience. no ill effects. My take on this it wasn't too bad at all and if it is as good for you as the websites/research says I will continue to use it/drink it/eat it.

    ReplyDelete