June 26, 2011

Read the Labels on Sunscreen!

Me doing my "Michael Jackson" as my kids call it
Michael Jackson was always famous about carrying an umbrella to shade himself.(heard after he passed that he may have had Lupus and  definitely had Vitiligo)
I don't always go to this extreme, but this day I really wanted to see a sandcastle contest at 11:00am-12:00 pm and the sun is VERY strong at that time, and Lupus makes me very sun sensitive. I get extremely tired and achy and feel feverish from a short time in the sun uncovered, this can last up to 24 hours after exposure I also get discoid Lupus sores on my face and scalp if I go out uncovered. See below for more suggestions.


Should you use sunscreen? If you have Lupus there is a very high chance you are sun sensitive and that being in the sun for even a few minutes can cause a Lupus flare and/or cutaneous lupus sores to appear.

I have shied away from sunscreens because I read the labels. What do I do for sun protection?
I eat foods that supply natural protection. I stay out of the sun between 10am and 3-4 pm. And I use UV safe clothes to protect my skin (long sleeve shirts/pants and hats). I very rarely go out in the sun in the middle of the day...one day however I so wanted to see a sandcastle contest and I carried a personal umbrella had sunglasses a hat and a long sleeved shirt for protection AND I didn't stay too long took a look at all the "castles" took pictures and  left promptly. I will try to find the pictures my daughter took that day to post above asap.

Here is an article from Mike Adams on the dangers of sunscreen.


http://www.naturalnews.com/032815_sunscreen_chemicals.html

http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/robyn-recommendations/sunscreen/ sunscreen recommendations from Green Smoothie Girl

No comments:

Post a Comment