December 13, 2011

Mindless Eating and Getting Back on the Healthy Track

Photo by my daughter Carly

Christmas is coming and I am getting busy with family fun and preparation...hope you are enjoying your Holiday season as well!

I may post a little less during this holiday...but I am still here! On to today's post...

I have had a little problem with "mindless" eating again...not really thinking what am I putting in my mouth and how will it affect my health and my body...I think many of you know about this phenomenon.

Not that I've been eating crazy or anything ( I never eat gluten, dairy, or eggs) but when I make homemade things for my family I try a few GF vegan corn muffins , a few GF vegan double chocolate chip cookies, a few GF vegan peanut butter chocolate covered pretzels...well it all adds up. The added sugar, salt, starches. If you are eating grocery store or even health food store brands the sugar, salt starches go up as well as the possibility of "natural flavors" (if they're so "natural" then why can't they name them?), the possibility of cross contamination, and possibility of other undesireable ingredients, etc.

I haven't been feeling as good as I used to and when I took stock/inventory...I realized I haven't been eating as many vegetables as I used to each day...time to ramp up.... I just started yesterday.

I made sure I had a large salad, cooked kale, cut celery and carrot sticks to munch. I also ate Hummus, guacamole, and frozen raspberries. One benefit to this type of eating is that this fills me up and leaves little room for the "junk food" (not so nutritious foods) also there is so much less sugar, salt (most of us get way too much) and other not so healthy ingredients if you are eating many raw veggies and fruits in your day. The last added health benefit is the amount of nutrients your body can take from those healthier foods and then the body can use those nutrients to repair anything in the body that it needs to.

I think it would be great to get a nutrition calculator computer program for Christmas. To everyone reading this...eat more veggies! Watch those holiday treats. Maybe try raw food pies and goodies they are the healthiest. Sweet Gratitude by Gratitude Cafe is my favorite "uncookbook" for delicious raw food desserts. You can check it out at your local library first if you like.

Here is a link to Gratitude Cafe's blog
http://cafegratitude.com/our-blog

No comments:

Post a Comment