July 30, 2009

More on the Celiac Meeting with Dr. Peter Green

Things I learned at the meeting:

Getting tested for the genes HADQ8 and HADQ2(Celiac Disease genes) from Kimball genetics with a cheek swab can rule out the disease, if you don't have those genes you can't have the disease. (on the other hand 40% of the population has the genes and only 1% actually gets Celiac Disease so the test will not prove that you have the disease)

Dr. Green said possibly to get family members tested to see if my siblings/ parents have it. Well my parents are gone, but I will ask my brothers.(I don't want to do a gluten challenge and jeopardize my health and it still may come back a false negative.) I feel bad asking them, but I feel it could help me and them.

Testing PTH (parathyroid hormone) will show if your parathyroid is taking calcium from your bones and causing osteoporosis(if you just test your calcium in your blood it may still be normal levels because your parathyroid is stealing the calcium from your bones to have the correct calcium serum level in your blood)

I will get tested for osteoporosis too

Vitamin B6 in high doses can cause nerve problems(neuropathy) a normal person in the US gets enough of this vitamin in their food(Methyl Protect supplement that I take has 500xthe RDA of Vit B6 with the B12 that I need and my doctor told me to take 2 capsules a day, I have only been taking 1 capsule but I am afraid that is too much B6 ,and I was never tested to see if I have enough B6 by a blood test AHHHHH! I get angry at doctors!!!!)

He said to check your copper levels(I forget why) , but more reason to do the micronutrient testing...

I learned some more too, but these are things I want to focus on with my doctors. I will see my holistic MD on Aug 6th and try to ask her nicely (or demand ...if I have to) to give me prescriptions for these tests. God is teaching me and helping me along...but I find it so frustrating and upsetting that I have to do so much research and learning and that the doctors just don't know as much as you think! I feel as if I am going through a maze of learning....I am picking up bits of "cheese"(keys to my health) along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment