July 23, 2009

OK I am NOT "Martha"!!!

I am NOT SUPER woman. I am NOT! I promise! I am NOTHING like Martha Stewart!
Just to clear up and make everyone see what I have is attainable.(Cooking/preparing many meals for myself and my family)
OK here goes, cooking is my "prescription" yes it's what I "take" instead of medications so it is a LARGE responsibility and priority. That being said...I wish everyone that needed to change their diet to help their disease could get a "prescription" fror a "personal chef" to make them healthy foods (HEAR that Obama!!!! heard he wants to have healthcare reform...)

Sometimes I feel too tired to cook/prepare, sometimes I feel to tired to shop for the food to make. I am NOT perfect! Sometimes my husband feeds himself and the kids dinner, or the kids prepare their own meals. I am teaching my children to cook to lessen my workload. Sometimes I make something for my husband and I and my husband makes the kids dinners. Sometimes I ask my husband to make a meal for me, and I don't cook at all.(though that's not too often)

Many of you may have heard the "Spoon Theory" on Lupus from the "But you don't look sick..."
website. I have taught it to my children well.... they know if they help mommy, mommy will have more spoons left over to do things with them. The way the spoon theory goes is, that you are given an alloted amount of spoons(energy) per day with Lupus and each task during the day takes spoons away from your inventory... and when you are done for the day you are done and need to lay down and rest for the night.(or afternoon ) Please reach out to all that can help you...don't do everything yourself, don't spend all of your spoons on chores and what must be done.
Save some of your "spoons" for some fun!

Also my home usually looks like a bomb hit it, (cleaning is NOT my priority, COOKING is!)
I try to play with my dogs/children each day...but if I don't get to it they'll still love me! You can walk through my house it's not as bad as the people on Oprah where the people have wall to wall stuff and they can't sleep on their beds or grow mold under the stuff all over the floor...those shows always make me feel better because then my house looks so much better in comparison. My car is not washed my clothes are not perfectly folded...oh the list goes on. Nutrition is what is my priorty in life at this point.

****CAUTION**** Food is what I choose for my medicine and I am lucky enough not to need medications for my Lupus at this time, HOWEVER if you are taking medications for Lupus or any other disease never stop them without your doctor's OK and if you are interested in weaning off or stopping your medications try to see a GOOD naturopathic doctor (get recommmendations!!!) if you decide that is what you want for your life. It is a personal decision to ber made by your doctor and yourself. Remember YOU are in charge of your body and you owe it to yourself to find a doctor that will work with you the way you want them to. I personally have a rheumotologist(not holistic at all and doesn't believe in diet helping Lupus symptoms) a naturopathic doctor(totally holistic and believes in diet helping Lupus) and a holistic MD(mostly holistic and believes in diet helping all diseases). I try to work with all of them to get the care I feel I need.

3 comments:

  1. I'm no Martha that's for sure. I love the spoon theory. I live by it, or at least try to. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The thing I like about the Vegetarian Times magazine is that they have many recipes that take 30 minutes or less to prepare. They have many posted on their website-www.vegetariantimes.com that are free.

    I always try to make enough food so that I have some leftovers for the next day, and I don't have to think about it and cook everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the comments, "manic mom" about the spoons and not being like Martha either.

    And to "ecstatic" for the cooking extra and having leftovers idea, I try to do this too, though I wish I was even better at it and thanks for the info about vegetarian times! I have heard from some moms that they have things all frozen/ refrigerated and in the cupboard for a week. Now that's planning and I'm NOT quite that good ...yet...

    ReplyDelete