July 9, 2009

Ways to save to buy organic food

I REALLY believe in organic food not just for our health, but for the health of the planet. If I can find an organic variety of the food I want to purchase, I do.

Ways that I save money to buy organic food(I KNOW it can be expensive)
1)Take out DVD/movies from the public library
2)Shop at the local farm stand
3) Shop for clothes at the Salvation Army or thrift stores(not all, but lots)
4)Have cars without the payments(we don't lease cars and keep them past their primes the repairs are still cheaper than a car payment)
5) Not many vacations(or we camp)
6)Mow our own lawn/do our own yardwork
7)Have a backyard garden
8) Don't have a house that we can't afford
9) Pick the garbage of other folks that don't want a perfectly good picnic table etc.
10) Get books out from the public library(I buy very few books this way)
11) I give haircuts to my son and husband with a haircut kit, and my husband cuts my hair and my daughters hair(he just trims the bottom straight across nothing fancy just takes off the split ends)

I will add more as I think of them....

4 comments:

  1. I heartily agree! Food safety is becoming more and more of an issue, not just because of contaminants but actual allowable food ingredients in what you can buy at the regular supermarket. Here's a great website for all sorts of interesting foods: www.shoporganic.com. Check em out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara,
    Thanks for the website info, I'll have a look.
    If you read the labels on the processed foods(boxed/jarred foods etc) it is crazy what the FDA allows! I have found many a toxic chemical in the ingredient labels at the grocery store(when I look it up on the internet).
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. I buy organic when I can and when I feel it is most important. Those are some good ideas on how to save. Most people have abandoned common sense for the keep up with the Jones attitude. We also make many things from scratch, I stay home with the children to avoid outrageous childcare costs and more doctor visits from sick kids.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenny,
    Good going! Do what you feel is right for you, be authentic! don't let "the Jones'" tell you what to do! Also good for you that you stay home with your kids, kids in the US have way too many working parents, working to have SUV's and cruises, when all the kids want is to be with you, lots of times just playing a board game or listening what they liked/disliked about their school day means the WORLD to them!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete