September 22, 2009

Are Candles Making You Sick?

Are Candles Making You Sick?

Researchers warn of toxic buildup from paraffin, suggest beeswax instead (HealthDay News) --

Paraffin wax candles, used mainly for romantic ambiance, fragrance and light, may also contribute to air pollution inside your home. The candles, which are made from petroleum, are a source of known human carcinogens and indoor pollution, researchers said in a study to be presented Wednesday at the American Chemical Society's national meeting in Washington, D.C. In the study, R. Massoudi and Amid Hamidi found that candles made from beeswax or soy, although more expensive, apparently are safer because they do not release potentially harmful pollutants. "An occasional paraffin candle and its emissions will not likely affect you," Hamidi said in a news release. "But lighting many paraffin candles every day for years or lighting them frequently in an unventilated bathroom around a tub, for example, may cause problems." Ventilation can help reduce the level of pollutants in closed rooms, the researchers said. Besides the more serious risks, Hamidi also said that some people who believe they have an indoor allergy or respiratory irritation may actually be reacting to pollutants from burning candles. More information The U.S. National Institutes of Health has more information on indoor air pollution.-- Dennis ThompsonSOURCE: American Chemical Society, news release, Aug. 19, 2009

Use natural and organic products whenever you can! Also get the Febreze and Glade air fresheners, etc. out of your life they are just toxic chemicals. Health Food Stores have better and healthier products to replace these to make your home smell fresh and pleasant smelling naturally!

No comments:

Post a Comment