October 27, 2009

Satisfying Cravings with Healthier Versions

Hi Everyone!

I have had some requests to go over how to change your diet. I will first tell you what I did and then I will give you the advice I wish someone would have given me at the beginning.

I went for kinesiology testing with a chiropractor, she said Lupus and all autoimmune diseases were related to leaky gut and leaky gut over time created many food allergies. All of my food allergies were causing more inflammation in my body, and it's a no brainer that anything that causes inflammation...especially when you have Lupus, is a BAD THING!

So I came home that day and on a few future visits with a list a mile long of foods to avoid.

At first this is what I did for substitutions:
(Vegan means no eggs or dairy in this case)

Food Allergy

regular cupcakes and cookies
regular bread, biscuits, and pizza
chocolate pudding with milk/eggs
regular mayonaise
wheat tortillas
ice cream
gluten grains
regular crackers

Substitutions

GF Vegan cupcakes and cookies
GF Vegan Bread, biscuits, pizza
Tofu chocolate pudding
soy mayonaise
corn or rice tortillas
soy or rice ice cream
GF grains quinoa,millet, brown rice
GF Vegan crackers


I have many GREAT recipes for GF Vegan and GFCF on my blog at
http://myfamilysfavoritegfcfrecipes.blogspot.com/

There were lots more substitutions waffles, hot pretzels, GF breaded chicken cutlets, etc.

Then I realized that all those starches and sugars were probably not great for my body either and now my diet substitutions are more like this:

Food Allergies

bread
cupcakes and cookies
chocolate
gluten grains
chicken/ beef
crackers
pudding
ice cream
potato chips
hot chocolate

Substitutions

Food for Life Brown Rice Tortillas
Raw food treats sweetened mostly with dry fruits
GFCF chocolate or raw chocolate
quinoa, millet, brown rice some times sprouted sometimes cooked
turkey/salmon/flounder
flax crackers
raw almond butter with 1/2 tsp of raspberry jelly or raw key lime pie or 1/2 avacado
nut milk smoothies with fruit or cacao nibs or both
kale chips in the dehydrator
almond milk hot cocoa



Of course on both plans there are TONS of veggies and some fruits added in both, I just avoid the veggies and fruits I am allergic/intolerant to. What I want to show here is that you CAN still have foods that satisfy you and they can be healthy and delicious. Please see my Lupus Hope Cookbook blog for delicious recipes that are good for you too! http://lupushopecookbook.blogspot.com/

If you would like to email me at lonedoggy@netzero.com with a specific food or foods that you love and don't want to give up, I will try to find or make a recipe that will be like your old favorite foods but much healthier!

Alissa Cohen in her book "Living on Live Food" has many "mock" raw foods such as pizza, enchiladas, calzones, chick-un patties, sausage, meat loaves, mashed potatoes and gravy!
She also has many desserts too. Also see my recoomendations on other raw food books as well at
http://lupushopecookbook.blogspot.com/2009/08/great-raw-food-books.html

This is "do-able" but at the beginning changing your diet is hard and challenging, but with each day it gets easier and you get more into a routine, and your new found better health is WORTH IT!
My advice is skip the gluten free and vegan goodies and go RIGHT TO the raw and/or macrobiotic foods they are much healthier in the long run! If you feel the need to go slower though, take the gluten free goodies and breads and ease in to the raw and /or macrobiotic foods
Good Luck to all of you and if you have any questions just ask...you can email me or post a comment below!

1 comment:

  1. Hi..I just was diagnoised with sle..two months now..I've been doing some research myself. I believe mines have came from a great deal of stress Since I've moved from up north I haven't been eating my seafood like I used to.I have been eating seafood since I was a baby...mmmmm.I can't say before I started crawling, because i never did.lolol I don't plan on letting this diease get me down I'm 49ys old..My diet will be eating plenty of seafood and seasalt...people always said i should of been a mermaid that's how much I enjoy seafood..lolol less stress..I'm an comedian I'll be healing from laughter....& praying for eveyone with longterm dieases.dlady

    ReplyDelete