October 23, 2009

Is there a Dietary Change in Your Future? QUIZ!

This is from a previous post... but I meet people out and about and on-line everyday that have a VERY HARD time trying to commit to changing their eating habits. Just recently it was my dental health technician. She cleaned my teeth and noticed that my mouth looked healthier, and that I'd lost lots of weight...I told her of my incredible changes with my diet. She was very curious and very interested but was afraid to take the "leap" she has 2 children and a husband, this always makes things more difficult, but I have a husband and 2 children too, and although it was, and is a little harder to go to someone's house/ go out to eat, I feel it is worth it for my health.
I had originally made up this test because I was on 2 Lupus lists that were only medication based and no one wanted to change their diet at all, they would just take tons of toxic medications to mask the symptoms of their Lupus and never get to the ROOT CAUSE to try and heal their body!
I forgot to give this test to my students in my class, but I will give it to the students in my next class in January.

Enjoy the post/quiz!

A Dietary Change in your future???

I want to have healthy eating, nutrition and health classes, this is a test I thought of to give my students...if you want to take it...go ahead...it would shed light on your most difficult obstacles. Good Luck!

Also look up Wayne Dyer's book "Excuses be Gone" he has a TV program that is a seminar about the book on PBS lately. I watched it and it was great...we all have excuses not to make a change for the better and Wayne Dyer shows us how silly all of our "excuses" are....

1) If you could definitely be healthier (and even possibly leave diseases/health problems behind)how likely would you be to change to a healthier diet?

least likely 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 most likely

2)If you answered least likely or undecided(middle of the road) what are your biggest obstacles:

a) You feel that you deserve your favorite unhealthy foods as a "reward" because you are sick or in pain.

b) Too costly to buy healthy food

c) Too time consuming to make healthy foods

d) You are "addicted" to your unhealthy foods and just can't do it!

e)Would be too difficult for your family because everyone would have to have different dinners/meals

f)Don't know where to shop for healthy foods

g) No support to stay on your eating plan

h) Don't have healthy recipes

i) Too hard to go out to eat, or, too hard to go to a friend's house/party to eat

3) Why wouldn't you try Alternative Medicine/Holistic Medicine

a)Had a bad personal experience with it

b) A friend told you of a bad experience

c) Just don't trust "those" kind of doctors

d) Trust my real medications more

e) Want immediate relief from real medications

6 comments:

  1. Dear Toni,
    Thankyou so much for replying to my previous comments. You said I could tell you a little about my eating habits. I am not remotely vegan - but my family are from India, and we eat the following foods:
    tons of fruit, lentils, tomatoes, onions, coriander, turmeric, ginger, garlic, rice, chicken, fish, spinach, chick peas, potatoes, radish, etc and I also eat all the 'rubbish' things like sweet cakes, and tea (this is England after all)... my diet is intrinsically what my parents eat, and what we've always eaten as a family. Apart from adding things in, like the different things you post about, I can't imagine how to navigate into an entirely different sphere. I have a complex case of lupus - necrotising lymphadenopathy, severe glaucoma, vasculitis... not helped by an inability to tolerate any toxic medicine but I am now on a monoclonal antibody so we are hopeful ...
    Advice please!!! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shaista,
    Is there anything you crave badly? Any foods you feel that you COULDN'T GO WITHOUT or feel you are addicted to?
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably not addicted to anything, but I definitely get cravings, particularly when I'm too ill to eat :) I do crave potatoes and sweet things. I have always found sweet foods to be a great boost of energy, and even used After Eight chocolates to calm my nausea.
    Am I a hopeless case?!! I've decided to start a food diary.. although I have done so before and never really learnt much from it because I don't know what the culprits are. I weigh 7 and a half stone so I've always thought better to eat anything, than not.
    I am just so in awe of women who juggle their home lives, their workload, and on top of that, cook amazing nutritionally savvy food. Completely heroic in my opinion!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaista,
    What I want to help you to do is give you healthier versions of sweets/things you crave that are also easy to make too if possible.
    For instance it is pretty easy to melt some Gluten Free Dairy Free chocolate and add some real mint leaves or some REAL organic mint extract for the chocolates. You also can make a salad or go to a salad bar or just have your favorite fruits and nuts or nut butters for a healthy snack. You could also use dates and raisins as a sweetener in foods. I really would recommend getting tested for food allergies first make sure what foods you are OK with. Or go on an elimination diet for a week to a month and see how you feel...I will try to add another post on this topic...you are NOT alone in feeling overwhelmed with totally changing your diet!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dear Toni,
    Thankyou so much for your recommendations and it is brilliant to know you are 'out there' supporting and encouraging us. I am fortunate in not being coeliac (I was tested, and the test came back negative), and I have had a food allergy test (the most money I have ever spent on anything!), and it only flagged a few dairy products. Frustrating!
    I will try your suggestions, and thankyou for the latest post.
    I have a question about macrobiotics - why are nightshade vegetables like tomatoes and potatoes not recommended? On Wikipedia it says neither are beets, avocadoes and spinach. I thought these were really healthy foods?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shaista,

    Do you still eat dairy? What type of allergy testing did you get? Scratch testing? IgE? IgG?
    How were you tested for celiac disease?
    In macrobiotics specifically I don't know...
    I do know that potatoes and tomatoes and some other veggies too are nightshades which many people have problems with when they have joint pain. Avacadoes can kill a bird/dog or cat. (I have to look into what they have in them specifically).
    Also some veggies are higher in purines/oxalic acid which can exacerbate joint/pain issues.
    Toni

    ReplyDelete