August 24, 2009

How to find a qualified doctor...

This OBVIOUSLY has plagued me for quite some time!
Just a quick message on this...a thought I had yesterday...

We need to check out the doctors we go to. I remember back when I had my first baby the BIG thing was, what pediatrition were you going to pick and ALL the pediatricians had a free consultation-type "interview" where the parents could go and ask questions to see if that pediatrician was the right one for your chiild/family situation. There were books telling you what questions to ask at this first visit with a pediatrician.

We comparison shop for everything else.... why not a doctor, at least get recommendations from your friends and ask WHY do they like their doctor, better yet I feel that all doctors should have this interviewing process, remember what you need or want may not be the same as your friend.

I found one of the best ways to know a doctor was for me was to hear that doctor speak.
3 of the best doctors that I found were from going to a library program, on a TV program, and at an allergy meeting, a fourth doctor actually let me ask questions on the phone before I made an appointment. Maybe more doctors can do things like this! We NEED to be well informed, doctors are people just like us, they don't know everything and they make mistakes, they are human.
Also I find if my doctor is a rheumatologist and they don't have Lupus or someone in their family has Lupus they are not going to give all their attention and research to Lupus there are many other things they need to know so they are spread thin!

If your doctor tells you to do something you are uncomfortable with , you don't like his/her protocol get a second opinion, or a third of a fourth. I realize that is a lot of work especially if you are too sick...but maybe have a friend or family member help you with this.

At this point I just learned that a "functional medicine " doctor is what I was looking for. That is what Dr. Mark Hyman is and his associate is. I JUST learned this about a month ago in all my research that I have been doing for over 1 and 1/2 years! God must have felt I was ready to accept this information now.

All I can say is search and search and read and read and pray and pray! You can find your answers! Be well and I pray for everyone to find their footing on their own healing path!

No comments:

Post a Comment